Clearly Anime; LHS anime club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clearly Anime; LHS anime club

Welcome

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CoA : Representation on Anime Fans

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMantello
WINNAR!one!!!11!

TheMantello

CoA : Representation on Anime Fans Empty
PostSubject: CoA : Representation on Anime Fans   CoA : Representation on Anime Fans Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 8:33 pm

My friend sent me a link to this, and I found it pretty interesting.

Quote :
Bamboo: A while back, the commercial for this year's Sakuracon popped up on the Internet. Within hours, it was met with a variety of reactions, and much derision. Before we get started, here's a link to the Youtube copy. Directed by voice acting veteran Vic Mignogna, it's set in a sushi bar (with actress Tiffany Grant making a cameo appearance). She bites into a succulent piece of salmon and says, "I love sushi." This escalates into an excited cacophony of other favorites, like DDR, J-rock, and Gilgamesh. At the end, the sushi chef looks up and says, "Get your butts to Sakuracon!"

Some found the commercial to be funny. Some found it to be offensive. Some thought it was just a tongue-in-cheek jab at anime fans, but... is that how we really want to be viewed? So this week's discussion is about how anime fans are viewed, and the stereotypes that we embody. Thoughts?

Youtube Video Here

My opinion -> Kinda made me mad, explanation later (I got studies to do).

Disscuss.

-Mantello
Back to top Go down
Tekante

Tekante

PostSubject: Re: CoA : Representation on Anime Fans   CoA : Representation on Anime Fans Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 pm

I say, it really doesn't make me want to go to Sakuracon.

However, this really makes me want to buy a truckload of V8.

But seriously, I dunno whether I should be chuckling or facepalming. It comes off as a tad offensive to me, even though I'm pretty used to cracking jokes at myself. I'm usually detached from the anime fandom.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/8637591
Pink_Flower

Pink_Flower

Location : Who knows!? I live in the Middle of Nowhere according to my friends. It takes them hours to find me.

PostSubject: Re: CoA : Representation on Anime Fans   CoA : Representation on Anime Fans Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 7:33 pm

I saw that online a while ago. I sat there saying to myself, "Is this some joke? I know people put a lot of work into crap, but this is just off..." Sure I crack the otaku joke as much as the next person, but this was kind of offensive, unfortunately a hour later I found a parody and laughed my butt off...

The views of ourselves on the other hand, we joke about ourselves a good amount. The stereotypes that are put on us are no different from those we put on others. The thing is, what about the parents who see that, con-goers are not all old enough to drive. The image it gives to the parents could be taken one of two ways, either a) we're all freaks and they don't want their child to have anything to do with anime or b) we're a bit off and they convention was trying to make a commercial.

Either way, it doesn't portray us as actual people... there are cosplayers there... I don't know about you, but how many of us would take the risk of getting food on cosplays we either spent money on or spent excruciating hours to make.
Back to top Go down
http://squirtaltears.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CoA : Representation on Anime Fans   CoA : Representation on Anime Fans Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CoA : Representation on Anime Fans
Page 1 of 1