Clearly Anime; LHS anime club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clearly Anime; LHS anime club

Welcome

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Like a manga for the strangest reasons?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tekante

Tekante

Like a manga for the strangest reasons? Empty
PostSubject: Like a manga for the strangest reasons?   Like a manga for the strangest reasons? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 11:54 pm

I doubt many people will bother to reply, but oh well. So anyways:

Do you like or have liked a manga for something other than it's selling point?

Meaning that you like a particular series for a reason that is outside its genre.
For example, you like Naruto because of homages to Japanese Mythology and not the ninja action.

Here's mine:

Gantz - It's an action/sci-fi manga that mainly sells with its gratuitous violence and breasts, kinda like Elfen Lied. However, unlike Elfen Lied, Gantz is actually interesting and doesn't pretend to be deep.

Case in point, the reason I'm reading Gantz is because I want Kei and Tae to be back together again, because they're such a nice couple. Plus Tae is so cute. Dx

EDIT: They're back together again, and I'm happy. Now I just want them not to die.

Basically, I'm reading Gantz for the romance and not the blood and boobies, as strange as that may be.

(Seriously, breasts are practically a main theme in Gantz. >.>)
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/8637591
TheMantello
WINNAR!one!!!11!

TheMantello

PostSubject: Re: Like a manga for the strangest reasons?   Like a manga for the strangest reasons? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:06 pm

I am hoping you are referring to the Elfen Lied manga, because I don't think the anime version pretends to be deep, it actually is. The manga version is so-so... (Can't let an attack on my favorite anime go unheeded D:)

Alright on the the question.
I mostly enjoy them for what they were written for, if thats what you asking. I have played football for a couple years, so when I picked up the football manga Eyeshield 21, I enjoyed the manga because I could relate to it. I liked it because it was about football, and the comedy aspect just made it better.

Btw, Gantz anime had more violence then breasts. There were a couple H scenes, but I remember the creative ways the people died more then the sex. I saw a single page of the manga... it was like a naked women monster >_>

Back to top Go down
Tekante

Tekante

PostSubject: Re: Like a manga for the strangest reasons?   Like a manga for the strangest reasons? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 pm

Yes, perhaps the Elfen Lied manga is deeper than its anime counterpart, don't know, never will. But all I could get out of the anime was "naked bloody lolis". Yet I could always see something past the blood and breasts in Gantz.

If I'm not very clear, sorry, I write these topics in the middle of the night. :<

And also, that giant naked lady monster was quite hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Jaitne
Admin
Jaitne

PostSubject: Re: Like a manga for the strangest reasons?   Like a manga for the strangest reasons? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 8:59 pm

I started reading The Pet Shop of Horrors... because my friend showed me man eating bunnies in it. The manga does have lots of animals in it and all, but each story actually has something really interesting to it (some more than others and usually the ones where someone dies).

Also, Count D was an interesting character, but he might have been a selling point. Leon and D's interaction might have been one, too >.> but that was also quite interesting.

And the anime was nice and fast paced and.. you barely noticed the nudity in most parts because of all the blood, at least for me and some of my friends o.o

The drawings were also nice and kinda cool, but it's a manga.. so that might be a selling point, too.
Back to top Go down
http://clearly-anime.omgforum.net
TheMantello
WINNAR!one!!!11!

TheMantello

PostSubject: Re: Like a manga for the strangest reasons?   Like a manga for the strangest reasons? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Lol. We seem to be talking about anime/manga that contains blood and nudity. Woo!

Oh I forgot to mention that I liked Gunslinger Girl because it was realistic, and it followed a pretty interesting storyline with realistic character interactions. It being a Girls n Guns kind of novel, it seems more normal... which is why I liked it.

I read a couple Bleach manga because a GM in one of the games I played like it... but then I lost interest once everyone started reading it.
Back to top Go down
Tekante

Tekante

PostSubject: Re: Like a manga for the strangest reasons?   Like a manga for the strangest reasons? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:07 pm

I adore Gunslinger Girl. But I can't seem to find any more chapters.
I want more Petrushka. Mad

I lost interest in Bleach after episode 60.

And I seem to be liking Darker Than Black because of Yin, although I'm not usually for personality-devoid characters.
Back to top Go down
Bloodlust
Heaven Piercing Mod
Bloodlust

PostSubject: Re: Like a manga for the strangest reasons?   Like a manga for the strangest reasons? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:19 am

I like Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei more for the deepness of each situation than the comedy and fanservice that usually takes place in the manga.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/keeper_of_honor
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Like a manga for the strangest reasons?   Like a manga for the strangest reasons? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Like a manga for the strangest reasons?
Page 1 of 1